We strongly believe in confidentiality. Our Counselling team practice “What happens here, stays here.” The only time we break confidentiality is if someone says they will hurt themselves or someone else, or if someone is in danger. We want students, parents and teachers to feel like it is a safe place to open up.
Counselling Across School Levels
The vision of the NIS Primary School Counselling Program is for all students in the Early Years Programme to Grade 5, to depart empowered with the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve academic, personal, social, and career successes.
It is our belief that all students can reach their full potential as respectful and responsible citizens.
Our goal is to achieve this vision by way of programmes such as service learning, guidance lessons, small group discussions, parenting seminars and a number of other initiatives.
The NIS Secondary School Counselling Programme focuses on the social-emotional development of students.
Our counsellor collaborates with teachers, parents and students to help students grow and thrive amid the developmental changes that occur during adolescence.
This is achieved through individual and group meetings, Life 101 classes, Advisory, teacher consultation and collaboration as well as parent support.
The NIS University Counselling Programme focuses on the overall personal development and wellness of our students. The areas of focus are; academic, career, and social-emotional development.
Our 6-12 Advisory program, Life 101 curriculum, Secondary School assemblies, Peer Ambassadors, transition programme, 1:1 care, small group meetings, parent and faculty workshops, as well as consultations, are used to promote an understanding of self-concept and personal satisfaction.
Developing an awareness of self as an individual, a student, and career-bound individual promotes the building blocks for an optimal start into adulthood.
Our Counselling programme guides students with course selection, career objectives, next steps after high school, including university research and applications. NIS offers PSAT, SAT, I and II and Cambridge testing for college-bound students.
- COVID-19 Parental Resources Kit (CDC) Guidance from the Centers for Disease Control to support children and young people’s social, emotional, and mental well-being.
- Talking with Children about Stress (APA) Tips to help care givers offer assistance and support that helps children better manage life’s challenges by being available, listening actively and responding thoughtfully.
- Talking with Children About COVID-19 (USHHR) A PDF resource for talking about infectious diseases with your family.
- What is Positive Discipline? An introduction to a Positive Discipline approach.
- Coping with COVID as an Adult (CDC) Tips to cope with stress and anxiety relating to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Self-Compassion for Parents Science-based self-care practices for adults.
- Mental Health Resources for Educators (T4A) Health and wellness resources for teachers.
- Shanghai International Mental Health Association A multidisciplinary professional association of therapists who provide mental health services to international communities.
- Lifeline Shanghai An English-speaking helpline for the international community.
- COVID-related Psychological Assistance in Chinese: 4008080132 or 025-86868449