Admissions Guidelines & FAQ
As an inclusive school, NIS determines admissibility through a range of means which are shared fully with all prospective families.
NIS is registered as a School for Children of Foreign Nationals in Nanjing, and conducts admissions in accordance with Jiangsu Education Bureau rules and regulations. Please see our admissions requirements for student enrolment, which follow the official requirements from the Bureau as set out in Article 24, translated below.
Article 24 of the Administrative Measures of Jiangsu Province on Schools for Children of Foreign Nationals
- Main students enroled by the school are accompanying children (foreign citizenship) of the expatriates legally staying in Jiangsu Province.
- The school shall not enrol children of Chinese citizens within the territory of China for enrolment or training.
- Upon examination and verification by the district or municipal education administrative authorities, the school may appropriately enrol children of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan residents legally residing in Jiangsu Province, children of Chinese citizens legally residing abroad, and children of high-level talents overseas, provided that the following materials are submitted:
I. Children of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan residents need to provide parents' and children's residence permits, Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, or Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents.
II. Children of Chinese citizens who have legally settled abroad shall provide their parents' certificates of legal residence abroad, foreign passports of the children and other materials that should be provided.
III. When applying for admission, children of imported overseas high-level talents need to provide their parents and children's certificates of legal settlement abroad and relevant materials of parents meeting the standards of the imported overseas high-level talents.
The recognition standard of overseas high-level talents shall be implemented in accordance with the relevant regulations of the districts or cities where the school locates or in accordance with the foreign high-end talents (Class A) standard set forth in the Notice jointly issued by the Ministry of Public Security, Administrative Measures of Jiangsu Province on Schools for Children of Foreign Nationals (Trial Implementation) the Ministry of foreign Affairs of the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of the State Administration of Foreign Experts on the full implementation of the work permit system for foreigners to come to China (WJF  No. 40). If the holder of the residence permit for overseas high-level talents in Jiangsu Province and the child obtains permanent (long-term) overseas residence permit, the above materials are not required.
For more information on enrolment requirements at NIS, please contact us.
We practice an approach to inclusion that gives priority for class places to families who will enroll all their age-appropriate children at our school. This approach supports our mission commitment to an inclusive classroom learning environment as well as our community spirit. NIS will not enrol or re-enrol students who receive tiered learning support unless their school age siblings also attend the school.
As a fully inclusive school, it is important that you disclose in advance if your child has any learning support needs, such as an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or any accommodations or modifications have been made to their learning programme at any stage of their school life. Failure to disclose this information could lead to a delay in being able to offer your child a place at our school.
We want to be able to offer all our students the best chance of success, and in order to do that we must have this information beforehand so we can discuss it with you and follow up with the experts in our Learning Support Team.
In some exceptional circumstances this may not be the appropriate school for your child.
- How do I apply for my child to attend NIS?
- Is there a deadline for applications?
- Is testing necessary for my child to attend your school?
- Is there a waiting list at NIS?
- What are the tuition fees?
- Do you offer any discounts or scholarships?
- Can I visit the school before I make a decision?
- My child does not speak any English or can only speak a little English. Can they attend NIS?
- Do you accept students with special educational needs?
- Does my child need a laptop or an iPad?
- Does NIS have a uniform?
- Does NIS provide meals during school time?
- What are the usual school hours?
- Does NIS provide school bus service?
- What is the profile of the student body?
- What is the profile of the teachers at NIS?
- What do I do when my child is leaving NIS ? What are the Clearance and Transfer Procedures?